Joan is the firm’s Diversity Partner and serves as a co-chair of the firm’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee. She focuses her practice on banking and corporate finance as well as real estate transactions. She has extensive experience representing financial institutions that provide financing for office, retail, industrial, and multi-family properties, and mixed-use development projects, both locally and nationally. She advises lending syndicates in all types of financial matters, including structure, collateral enhancement and covenant requirements as well as agency and co-lender rights and remedies. Her experience also includes working with diverse clients on commercial real estate leasing and contract negotiations.
Joan has been active in the leadership of CREW Boston, successor to New England Women in Real Estate (NEWiRE) for many years and served as its President in 2010 – 2011. CREW Boston is the region’s leading professional organization for women in the commercial real estate industry. Established in 1982, CREW Boston provides a forum for professional development and networking to its approximately 500 members.
Joan was recognized by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly as one of its Top Women of Law in 2010 and by Banker & Tradesman as one of its Women of Finance, Insurance, and Real Estate (FIRE) in 2011.
- Representation of the agent in a $155 million loan for the construction of a 42 story multifamily property located in Washington and containing approximately 400 apartment units and 8,100 square feet of retail space
- Representation of the agent in a $55 million loan for the construction of a 187-unit student housing complex located in Florida
- Representation of the agent in a $35 million loan for the construction of a first-class office building in a major regional office park
- Representation of the agent in a $350 million unsecured senior revolving credit facility
- Representation of the lender in a $43 million loan for the refinance of an industrial facility in Florida
- Representation of the agent in a $34 million loan for the expansion and repositioning of a regional shopping center
- Representation of the lender in a $40 million loan for the acquisition of a first-class office building in New Jersey
In The NewsMoreLess
- Parsons of Riemer & Braunstein LLP: Importance of allowing ourselves to choose – Joan Parsons, a senior partner practicing in commercial real estate finance for more than twenty years, explores the concept of choice and its relevance to both our personal and professional lives.
New England Real Estate Journal, November 30, 2012
- Joan Parsons featured in Banker & Tradesman – In an interview by Banker & Tradesman‘s Jim Cronin, Parsons talks about her practice and her involvement with New England Women in Real Estate, now known as CREW Boston, including the mentoring program.
Banker & Tradesman, January 23, 2012
- Joan Parsons named 2011 Woman of FIRE by Banker & Tradesman – Joan Parsons, a senior partner at Riemer & Braunstein and past president of CREW Boston, was named a Woman of Finance, Insurance, and Real Estate (FIRE) by Banker and Tradesman.
Banker & Tradesman, July 18, 2011
- Joan Parsons named one of Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly‘s Top Women of Law for 2010 – Lawyers Weekly named Joan Parsons as one of 2010’s Top Women of Law and interviewed her about her career.
Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, November 15, 2010
- Joan Parsons became President of New England Women in Real Estate (NEWiRE), now known as CREW Boston – On June 15, 2010, Joan took office as President of CREW Boston, the region’s leading professional organization for women in the commercial real estate industry.
Boston Business Journal, June 15, 2010
- Women aim to grow in commercial real estate – Joan Parsons was quoted in the Boston Business Journal discussing the increasing presence and profile of women in commercial real estate.
Boston Business Journal, May 7, 2010
- CREW Boston Legacy Council Panel, February 2017, panelist
- MIT 2011 Real Estate Symposium, April 2011, speaker
- MIT/Harvard “Bursting With Real Estate Career Day,” October 2010 panel, panelist
Awards & HonorsMoreLess
- Selected for CREW Boston’s 2017 Leadership Award recognizing leaders who have worked to advance women in the Greater Boston real estate community
- Named a United Way of Massachusetts Bay philanthropic leader of the legal community, 2012
- Recognized as one of Banker & Tradesman‘s “Women of Finance, Insurance, and Real Estate (FIRE)” for 2011
- Recognized as one of Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly’s “Top Women of Law” for 2010
- Selected for New England Real Estate Journal‘s Women In Real Estate issue, November 2010