Steven has extensive experience in complex civil litigation, including trials in both federal and state court, arbitrations, and appeals.
Steven focuses on commercial litigation, and has represented clients in lawsuits concerning commercial real estate disputes, resolution of problem loans, internal disputes between partners, shareholders and limited liability company members, breach of contract claims, tortious interference claims, and commercial fraud. Steven’s numerous successes include prosecuting the seller’s claims concerning the purchaser’s breach of an asset purchase agreement in relation to the sale of a business and defending against claims of tortious interference.
- Representation of various institutional lenders in foreclosure actions, including single and multiple lender transactions. These actions have included numerous property types, such as a commercial building (office and retail) in Manhattan, a boutique hotel in Manhattan, commercial retail space in Queens, an office park in Suffolk county, and a land assemblage for a ultra-high end residential condominium development in Manhattan
- Representation of various institutional lenders in ancillary actions relating to real estate foreclosures, such as litigation between landlord-borrower and tenant over TI issues, extensive work in connection with the authorization and retention of receivers, litigation relating to a 3rd party judgment creditor attaching lease payments due borrower, and dealing with mechanic’s lien claims and related issues
- Representation of secured creditor on various litigation issues arising with respect to a Chapter 11 filing by a retail mall developer and owner in the Southern District of New York
- Representation of mezzanine lender in litigation to enforce guaranties
- Representation of lenders in litigation by indirect investor in borrower alleging lenders’ involvement in claimed improper use of loan proceeds by the borrower
- Representation of senior lender in litigation concerning internal management dispute between borrower’s investors regarding the authority of the borrower to consent to an amendment to the loan documents
- Representation of senior lender in litigation initiated by borrower as a preemptive strike in an attempt to avoid declaration that borrower was in default
- In a case concerning an agreement between two parties to purchase, renovate, and then sell a residential property, represented the defendant against allegations that the plaintiff was entitled to receive a larger share of the proceeds from the sale; succeeded in having the case dismissed on the pleadings
- Representation of a well known real estate developer in a highly publicized arbitration against its co-owner of the General Motors Building concerning ownership of the GM Building under the LLC Operating Agreement