Real Estate/Business/Tax Law
O: (617) 880-3508
F: (617) 692-3508
Ray is a member of the firm’s Real Estate/Business Law Group maintaining a broad transactional practice that includes acquisitions, dispositions, leasing, financing, permitting and development. Prior to joining Riemer & Braunstein, Ray practiced in both Boston and New York representing a variety of local, regional and national clients in all capacities working with office, retail, industrial and hospitality properties throughout the United States. He has substantial experience representing borrowers and lenders in CMBS and traditional portfolio loans as well as multi-million-dollar credit facilities, §1031 exchanges and defeasance transactions. Ray’s practice has also included the representation of buyers and sellers of high-end residential real estate and the resolution of complex title issues across the Commonwealth.
Ray is actively engaged in his home community of Hingham, working to support and improve its educational and athletic programs and facilities. To that end, Ray served six years as an elected member of the School Committee, including two years as its chairman, as well as six years as chairman of Hingham’s School Building Committee. During that period, he oversaw the construction of a $56 million middle school under the MSBA model school program and a $5.5 million redevelopment of Hingham High School’s outdoor athletic facilities. Ray currently serves as vice chairman of a successor school building committee focused on improving a 69-year-old elementary school. Over the years, Ray has participated in many pro-bono and community-enrichment endeavors. He has coached a number of youth sports, including baseball, basketball, football, and soccer, and has also worked to create affordable housing opportunities for U.S. Veterans. Ray formerly served as a Trustee, corporate officer and counsel for Puppet Showplace, Inc., a long-standing performing arts and education organization in Brookline and currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Hingham Sports Partnership.
- Represented leading national affordable housing asset management company in multi-family property dispositions via partnership interest assignments and land conveyances involving LIHTC components, debt defeasance and bond redemption
- Closed multi-million dollar sales of mixed use and multi-family real estate assets held by trusts and estates clients
- Represented regional developer in acquisition and financing of former mill building with existing commercial tenant base and future development opportunities
- Represented regional real estate investment company in multi-million purchases and development of existing and newly-constructed apartment complexes involving 40B, transit-oriented and opportunity zone components and acquisition and construction financing.
- Represented national REIT in negotiation of new long-term ground lease for signature multi-use commercial property in Boston with significant public transportation component and related infrastructure
- Represented Fortune 10 company in its national retail acquisition, leasing and development program
- Represented national wholesale grocery company closing acquisitions and sale/leaseback transactions totaling over $200 million
- Represented national retail supermarket company in land acquisition and sale, leasing and development transactions
- Represented regional developers and landlords in acquisition and leasing of office, retail, and laboratory space in Greater Boston
Boston Bar Association, Legislative and Public Policy Committee
- December 2011 seminar, panelist – “Understanding State and Local Issues Concerning Land-Based Wind Facilities”
- September 2010 seminar, panelist – “Chapter 40B in the Spotlight: Current Status, the Repeal 40B Petition, and Possible Implications”
- November 2009 seminar, panelist – “State Transportation Reform and the Future of Air Rights Development in Massachusetts”
Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education
- October 2007 and 2006 seminars, panelist – “Tenants-in-Common Structures (TICs) and Section 1031 Like-Kind Exchanges”