Representing lenders, syndicated lending groups, debt funds and sellers and acquirers of problem loans, in situations involving both restructuring and liquidating troubled debt
Our attorneys work collaboratively with our commercial finance, real estate finance, litigation, and bankruptcy departments to provide our clients with an integrated and fully supported approach to addressing and resolving the issues and problems that arise in a lending relationship or the life cycle of a loan arrangement. Our attorneys in the loan restructuring/workout department represent lenders, syndicated lending groups, debt funds and sellers and acquirers of problem loans, in situations involving both restructuring and liquidating troubled debt. We also represent lenders involved in asset-based loans, cash flow transactions, equipment leases, and real estate loans of all sorts, including hotels, shopping centers, office properties, healthcare facilities, and industrial property.
Our practice ranges from middle market, single-lender loans to complex multi-lender participations and syndicated credits across the country, and often involves cross-border considerations. The matters in regard to which we represent lenders include a wide spectrum of industries, including manufacturing, retail, real estate development, high tech, and healthcare. Riemer & Braunstein has substantial experience in enforcing the rights and remedies of our clients both inside and outside of bankruptcy court and other insolvency proceedings, including assignments for the benefit of creditors, receiverships and trust mortgages. In the enforcement of creditors’ rights, we work closely with our litigation and bankruptcy departments. In coordination with the litigation and bankruptcy departments, we appear in state courts around the country, sometimes in conjunction with local counsel, and have established a reputation in the representation of creditors in bankruptcy courts around the country. We regularly work with equity sponsors, restructuring advisors and auditors in order to assist our clients in maximizing recovery while mitigating risk and expense.
- Representation of the Agent and the lenders in the resolution of a $1.5 billion dollar real estate facility secured by a portfolio of regional shopping malls and other real estate properties
- Representation of the lender in the resolution of a $300 million acquisition and renovation loan in connection with a luxury residential condominium project in Manhattan
- Representation of first-tier secured creditors in connection with the wind-down and ultimate liquidation of a multinational apparel manufacturer
- Represented secured creditor in the workout of a large portfolio of loans secured by New York, Chicago and Boston taxi medallions, including loan modifications, restructurings, bankruptcies, and secured party public and private sales of taxi medallions
- Representation of the lender in a defaulted mezzanine loan with respect to a development project in Arizona and the sale of the ownership interest in the developer through a UCC secured party’s sale
- Represented various purchasers in connection with acquisitions of multiple loan pools from the FDIC and financial institutions
- Representation of the Agent in the successful resolution and full repayment of a defaulted $100 million dollar loan for the construction of a residential condominium project in Boston