Derek’s practice focuses on tax credit and community development finance, real estate joint ventures and general commercial real estate transactions.
Derek has extensive experience representing investors, syndicators, community development entities (CDEs) and project sponsors in financial transactions that utilize state and federal low-income housing tax credits, historic rehabilitation tax credits and new markets tax credits. Specifically, Derek represents both tax credit syndicators and investors in multi-investor and proprietary fund offerings involving multi-tiered transactions and complex partnership tax issues. Derek assists his clients to structure transactions that combine various tax credit programs, private and subsidy loan programs and traditional debt and equity sources to finance the preservation and development of affordable housing, the adaptive reuse of historic buildings and other investments in low-income communities. Derek also has significant experience in commercial real estate lending, with a particular focus on assisting banks and other financial institutions with construction, bridge and permanent debt financing for tax credit projects.
Derek also represents developers, sponsors and investors engaged in real estate joint venture transactions, including programmatic investment platforms and asset specific ventures. He has significant experience representing clients in property-level acquisition, disposition, financing and development transactions across a broad array of real estate asset classes.
- Represented tax credit syndicator as the sponsor of low-income housing tax credit and historic rehabilitation tax credit multi-investor and proprietary investment funds
- Represented tax credit syndicators in structuring and closing dozens of “lower-tier” low-income housing tax credit and historic rehabilitation tax credit transactions across the county
- Represented investors in acquisition of partnership interests in multi-investor and proprietary investment funds with numerous syndicators
- Represented national bank as tax credit investor in closing a multi-investor low-income housing tax credit fund focused on transactions with emerging and minority-owned real estate developers
- Represented investor member of proprietary low-income housing tax credit fund as part of the fund’s “club” investment with other investment vehicles in a large low-income housing tax credit project in California
- Represented a national bank in connection with its historic tax credit equity investment for the redevelopment of the former factory complex in Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Represented a national bank in connection with its historic tax credit equity investment and new markets tax credit equity investment for the redevelopment of the historic theater in Boston, Massachusetts
- Represented national bank as tax credit investor in dozens on new markets tax credit investments across the country
- Represented joint venture sponsor in its partnership with an institutional investor to develop and acquire single-family rental communities across the country
- Represented joint venture sponsor in its partnership with an institutional investor to develop Class-A life science office and lab buildings in leading U.S. life science markets
- Represented joint venture sponsor in its partnership with an institutional investor to develop and acquire multi-family residential apartment buildings across the country
- Represented joint venture sponsor in its partnership with an institutional investor to acquire logistic centers and other industrial properties across the country
- Represented joint venture sponsor in its partnership with a private equity fund to acquire and develop an industrial warehouse facility outside of Charleston, South Carolina
- Represented corporation in connection with its disposition of multiple legacy power plant facilities across the country for redevelopment purposes
- Represented private real estate firm in connection with its disposition of a portfolio of twenty-seven multi-family residential apartments buildings outside of Detroit, Michigan
Real Estate Lenders Association, 2023 Tax Credit seminar panelist – “Funding Community Development Projects: Navigating Tax Credit Investments, Government Incentives, and Lending Programs that Facilitate Community Redevelopment Efforts Nationwide”
Law Clerk to Judge Alexander H. Sands III, Massachusetts Land Court (2012-2013)